VITA Tax Preparation Assistance
Taxes can be overwhelming at times. We are here to help if you need it. CAA has the privilege of coordinating this program year after year with an amazing group of volunteers who are qualified professionals. Each year we publish a schedule of the locations and times the program is available throughout Butte County.
VITA season is upon us!
In collaboration with the IRS and community partners including CARD, the VITA Tax Assistance program recruits IRS-certified volunteers to provide free, basic income tax return preparation with electronic filing for our community's low-income, disabled, elderly, and limited-English-speaking households who made between $0 and $65,000 in 2023.
Our program will run from February 5th until May 30th. Please follow us on Facebook and Instagram for updates about the program. Volunteers are specially trained to help identify if you are eligible for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), as well as other tax credits that can increase the amount of your tax refund.
To sign up for services, fill out this form: Sign up Form.
Call 530-712-2600 ext. 215.
We always welcome more volunteers! Greeters to welcome in clients and Tax Preparers (no tax or accounting experience required; training and certification provided).
Because of the free service, I got my taxes filed on time, I knew they were correct, and I got a great refund. Thank you so much. - THOMAS Q.
Our Track Record
The VITA program was founded in 1971 by Gary Iskowitz at California State University Northridge. The program grew from a small number of accounting students to a now nationwide program serving millions of taxpayers. Butte CAA has been a key partner since 2003 in the expansion of the VITA program in Butte County.
- We have helped over 10,000 families get their taxes filed.
- Tax refunds resulted in over $8 million (prior to 2021) flowing back into their hands and into our community.
- Until the COVID outbreak, the program has grown year over year, and we have served as many as 1,200 families annually.
- CSU, Chico continues to see this as a great opportunity for their students to gain valuable hands-on experience.
- We provide the required training for every volunteer to be fully equipped to help.
In the 2021 filing season alone, we served 492 families.